HomeAbout UsContact InformationNewsletter ArchivesClubsEventsPhotosRace ResultsLinks



   Hello Everyone,                                                                                                                                                         January 16, 2014

In this Issue:


  1. Big New Changes at SudburyRocks!!!
  2. Wooly Hippo Invitational
  3. Rocks!! Member Opens Milestones
  4. Real Life Super Hero (Jamie's Progress)
  5. Upcoming Local Events - Walden Cross Country Events + Sofie Manarin Nickel Loppet
  6. Running Room Update -
  7. Track North News - Results - Sharon Anderson & Guelph New Year's Opener




Happy New Year to all!

A new year means that our annual SudburyROCKS!!! Race, Run or Walk for Diabetes is fast approaching. The SudburyROCKS!!! Race, Run or Walk for Diabetes is being held on Mother’s day, Sunday May 11th, 2014. Registration for our 9th annual event is now open for registration for the 5K, 10K, half marathon, full marathon, 1K kid’s events, and team relay challenge.

With a new year comes BIG NEW CHANGES to our race!!! For the first time, our race will be held at Tom Davies Square, with the starting line located on Minto St. Be sure to visit our website www.sudburyrocksmarathon.com to check out the brand new race courses!!! And stay tuned for our new Expo location. We're working out the details now.

Also!! Visit the website to secure your spot for the 2014 SudburyROCKS!!! Race, Run or Walk for Diabetes. All walk/run information is posted on our website, as well as other information regarding the race, Diabetes, volunteer opportunities, and much more.

Your participation supports the Canadian Diabetes Association to help make strides in diabetes research. All pledges and proceeds go towards diabetes research, and programs and services of the Canadian Diabetes Association.

Remember that prices increase, so be sure to register as soon as possible!

We look forward to seeing you at this year’s SudburyROCKS!!! Race, Run or Walk for Diabetes!

Let’s make 2014 a healthy year!

Don’t forget to like us on Facebook!


Dana Crispo

Community Initiatives Coordinator

Canadian Diabetes Association

705-670-1993 x 2





Finding my inner ‘Wooly Hippo’

by Sara McIlraith

The Walden Cross Country Fitness Club held its first annual Wooly Hippo Invitational Ski Race on Sunday January 13. Approximately 50 enthusiastic skiers braved the icy conditions to skate ski their way towards the finishing prize of a Mars bar. Steady rain on Saturday turned into icy crust overnight as temperatures dropped, leaving us all a bit nervous about how the trails would hold up. I’m sending a huge thank you to our groomer, Jody Waddell, as he worked some serious magic to transform the ice into a pretty decent layer of softer icy snow.

The day started with the Jackrabbit and Paranordic races. I love watching the younger skiers participate in races. They all worked hard and had huge smiles on their faces as they crossed the finish line. Definitely having earned their Mars bars!

The 5.5k and 16.5k skiers then lined up. This race was a ‘mass start’, similar to running races, where everyone starts at the same time. Mass start ski races are always a bit chaotic with poles flying everywhere and skiers tripping each other up. We had one pole casualty, however, the determined Adrian Marcolini continued to race with only 1 pole, almost catching up to his brother!

Those of us doing the 16.5 had 3 laps of the 5.5 course to do. Following a pretty hectic 1st lap, I was able to settle down my nerves and find my ‘comfort’ on the snow (thanks Patti for your wonderful words of advice). Catherine Knight, my fellow female competitor, and I stayed together for the first lap. Following an almost disasterous tumble, I managed to step my way around and narrowly take the lead. I knew Catherine was much stronger on the down hills, so I had to really push the up hills to gain some distance. I don’t think I’ve ever pushed as hard climbing as I did during this race!

Sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone and really push your limits to find out what you are capable of. Yesterday was a true test for me. I finished the race feeling quite disappointed, but having some time to reflect, I’m actually very happy. Pushing your limits doesn’t feel good, and stepping out of your comfort zone but remaining determined really is a success. I truly did find my inner ‘Wooly Hippo’ yesterday, hopefully she’ll stay with me as I take on the next challenge – the Sofie Loppet next Sunday.

All Wooly Hippo Results Here



Rocks!! Member Mike Sheridan Opens Milestones

Milestones opens in Sudbury Celebrity chef Jason Rosso, left, was on hand at the new Sudbury Milestones location Wednesday night for a special opening party, with owners Joe, Louise and Mike Sheridan.


Congratulations to Mike and Louise Sheridan on the opening of Milestones, their new restauarant located at Silver Hills in Sudbury.

We wish them great success in their new venture.

Full Star story Here


Real Life Super Hero (Jamie's Progress)

British Columbia - The Last Province

        Jamie McDonald writes:

5th January 2014.

A blog from Corinne (the wife of Scott, who done the last blog), it looks like the whole family are taking it in turns, to run by my side, on different days.

"Pushing boundaries.

When I first heard word of Jamie I was relaxing poolside in San Jose, Mexico and a facebook message came through about some guy fundraising for something-or-other. I ignored the message and figured I'd contribute something when I got home. Little did I know, Jamie and his cause would come to mean so much more to me.

Scott got to run with Jamie the first day while I took the kids to Lake Louise for the day, periodically checking on the group to make sure all was good. As it turned out they had decided to press on past their original destination, straight through to Lake Louise. I made arrangements for Jamie to stay with us and at the end of their day we all sat around, visited over a glass (or several glasses in my case) of wine, and a fantastic dinner. I knew I'd get my chance to run with Jamie the next day, which made me a little nervous, as well as excited. Being a runner, but not an avid one, I was concerned that I wouldn't be much help with over-stuffed Caesar, or that I would struggle to keep pace, or worse, slow Jamie down...

I woke up feeling less-than-awesome after my over-indulgence the night before, but I wasn't going to let anyone know how I felt. It certainly wasn't going to stop me. I told myself 'you've run 10 to 15km's at a stretch before, you can easily do 10 or 15 today...' I thought given our location and the outdoors-y people around, there would be plenty of other runners with Jamie and I, to pick up any slack. And in the worst case, Scott could take over for me and help out more than what I might be capable of.

After a refreshing swim in the hotel pool, we went back to the hotel room and I prepared to get running, as Jamie finished up some blogging. Breakfast had been a bad idea and I was feeling worse than I had earlier, but I tried to keep busy to take my mind off how I felt. Jamie started his stretching (with relentless pestering from our 3 year old daughter, "what are you doing?" "Why are you doing that??" "Now what are you doing?" "Why??" Jamie seemed to take it in his stride and chuckle away at her. When he was finished he started to prepare Caesar - looking at the overflowing cart, I joked "I think you're travelling a little light!! Perhaps we should find some more junk to cram in there!!"

Jamie and I left the hotel and headed over to see Bill Keeling at the Wilson Mountain Sports shop, across the street. Bill had been working hard at fundraising (for every $100 spent, the customer gets to roll two dices, and for every number rolled, $1 goes to the Alberta's Children's Hospital, so far it's at $1262) so Jamie wanted to make sure to stop in and personally thank him before we left.

Also, he needed to "jimmy-rig" the attachment for his video camera, which had stopped functioning the day before - waiting outside the shop was BRUTAL - the nerves of excitement was mixing with the wine from the night before and I was getting more nauseated by the second. I needed to get running. After what seemed like an hour, but was really only about 10 or 15 minutes, Jamie, Scott and Bill emerged from the store. A creative duct tape job had readied the camera and we were ready to go! After a final tweet from Jamie saying: "@MrJamieMcDonald: 181 marathons down, follow my tracker: ( http://www.jamiemcdonald.org/ ) 19 more to go, as I head to the Pacific Ocean." We were off.

We headed out of Lake Louise towards Field, 25km's away. And I was the only runner with Jamie, 'guess I'd better suck it up' I thought.

Scott drove past us honking maniacally, as Scott often does in any situation, it immediately lightened my mood and gave me some much needed encouragement. We headed to the highway and I joked to Jamie 'we'd better make sure we go the right way!' Thinking of the infamous video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lZBGCkv_ek) where he ran 10 miles in the wrong direction, can't help but laugh every time I think of it. We took a left turn and headed down the ramp into the eastbound lanes to run against the traffic. He said "are you sure we're going the right way?" This was Jamie's way of teasing me - my embarrassing lack of geographical knowledge had become a topic of discussion the night before. "I'm not sure" I replied, "but that sign says Jasper and I'm pretty sure that it would say Banff if we were going the wrong way. However, given my track record you may want to consult a 3rd party!" We laughed and ran on.

It was around -15C, which was cold but in the sun, it seemed to warm the skin, the first few km's passed fairly easily. I spent most of my time, adjusting my toque and scarf to be comfortable, as well as my sunglasses, which kept fogging up, so eventually I took them off - little distractions that made the time pass quickly.

Jamie and I took a few turns pushing Caesar, it was relatively flat so it didn't feel like too much of a challenge. As we were approaching our first real incline I offered to take Caesar but was thankful when Jamie insisted on getting him to the top of the mountain - without the 65 extra kilos I started to pull away from Jamie. Suddenly, the headwind had picked up and I was starting to notice numbness in my ears and cheeks, the hill was not big, but it was NOT enjoyable!!

Large trucks were whizzing past us and the wind current created by them would take my breath away. We were also getting pelted by the bits of sand and gravel that had been spread on the slippery roads the day prior, my mindset was becoming negative. This was not all the fun I thought it might be.

So I popped in my headphones and listened to some tunes to lighten my mood while I waited for Jamie and Caesar to catch up. We crested that hill and headed down the other side and everything began to change, luckily, the wind had subsided.

It was calm and the scenery of ice capped mountains, white trees and beautiful rock formations was breathtaking, to add to the ironical scene, a train passing by blew his horn and waved in support. The conversation was flowing easily and again the run became enjoyable. Lots of cars honked and waved, obviously aware of who Jamie was and what he was doing. Although, having said this, there were quite a few unusual looks. I was getting quite a kick out of the expressions on people's faces, as they tried to see if we actually had a baby out for a leisurely stroll along highway #1, in -15 degree temperatures - through the Rocky Mountains. I said to Jamie "what must people be thinking?"

We pressed on, with conditions much nicer without the windchill factor, the km's were passing quickly and all of a sudden - a surprise to us both - I spotted the sign: 'WELCOME TO BEAUTIFUL BRITISH COLUMBIA'. I said "Jamie look! You're about to cross into B.C! You did it!" He said "You're joking!?!" I said "NO! Look!! There's the sign marking the border!" The excitement was electric.

Jamie had conquered 8 provinces out of 9, he was now on his LAST one! We stopped to take pictures and revel in the accomplishment for a moment. He said "did you know this would happen? That we would cross the border today? Because I certainly didn't." I replied "NO, I honestly didn't know." Given my lack of geographical knowledge, I think he believed me.

A couple of km's down the road Scott was waiting to check up on us. Jamie jumped in the truck to warm up and send out a tweet letting everyone know, he was officially in B.C. Scott informed us that we were only 13km's from Field, we were halfway. It felt like we'd been running for a long time but my body felt fairly good. After a moment's contemplation, I made a mental decision that I would finish this day out with Jamie and run him right into Field. Scott let us know that we were close to the Continental Divide and that shortly after that, would be a 2000ft descent into town - I figured running downhill would be easier...

We continued on, often marvelling at the amount of snow - whole trees were buried, road signs were buried and the snow drifts, next to us (on the hard shoulder) was as tall as me. In fairness, I'm only 5ft tall but it made for a funny picture and was a source of entertainment for Jamie, to compare my height to the depth of the snow.

There were several frozen waterfalls along the way as well, they were the most beautiful shade of turquoise - Jamie and I would often stop, mesmerised at the millions of icicles. As dusk was setting in, we were descending the mountain. Jamie donned his flashing red lights and we continued on, taking turns having Caesar (which pulled us downhill). Nearing to the end of the run, I was really starting to feel the impact of the constant descent in my knees, but by this point, we could see the lights of Field.

At the bottom of the hill was Scott yelling at us from across the street "only 3 and a half km's left!" I was VERY happy to hear that, my knees were killing me!

We were running and running and running... it's amazing how time slows down when the suffering starts, almost so you have to feel the pain for a longer period of time. "Are those lights getting any closer?!?" I asked Jamie. He laughed and said "this reminds me of the time when I saw the lights of Winnipeg, I thought I was about 30 minutes away, only it took me another 6 straight hours of running, through the night, until he got there. Fortunately, I don't think this is one of those occasions, we're close." I then asked Jamie "do you ever think that you're not going to make it, to the end of your run?" He said "yes, all the time, but, from my experience of the last couple of years, being in this struggling position day after day, I've always somehow made it through - it has given me the confidence to know, I'll make it. You just have to keep going."

Now I was pushing way past my furthest ever run, despite really suffering, I felt I could suck it up for another couple of km's. Finally, we reached the corner where Scott was waiting to guide us to the restaurant, which was our final destination. My daughter Livia was cheering and yelling out of the window "you made it to the finish line!" I had done it! 25km's, I felt seriously proud of myself.

After Jamie previously told me about other runners with him, I now joined the many people who had pushed past their prior limits, inspired by and next to Jamie. I said to Jamie "a finish line for me, but certainly not for you!" To which he replied "I reach a new finish line everyday." What a fantastic way to look at such a humongous journey.

We ran to the Truffle Pigs Bistro where Jamie was to meet his next contact for his night stay. Scott, Jamie and I along with our two kids, Livia and Nate, sat together for a final meal. The food was amazing and exactly what we needed after a fantastic (albeit painful) day. We finished up and got ready to leave knowing Jamie would be in good hands going forward, goodbye was bittersweet. We were leaving what definitely felt like a new friend... We had hugs all around and Jamie said "It's not goodbye, it's see you later."

Thanks Jamie for inspiring people to push themselves every single day, and thank you for allowing us to be a small part of your amazing journey! Best of luck and take care along the way. See you later!!!"



Morning greeting

School of 8

Road to Golden

Golden College Students

Hwy scenery

Jan 10 Run start to Rogers Pass with storm brewing

Jan 10 Rogers Pass Climb

Slush on Rogers pass


Jan 10 Rogers Pass (& overweight Caesar) has zapped my legs completely. I'll be running my last 3 miles, on empty.

184th marathon, done. A slight falling out with Caesar & relentless climbing which has taken a big chunk off Rogers Pass. 16 marathons to go

Jan 11 In the parking lot @GCHeliski, no running today, hwy is closed due to avalanche control & (ridiculously deep snow).

Jan 11 Couldn't be trapped in a better place, I'll be obese leaving here: “@GCHeliski: Fed our new friend @MrJamieMcDonald"

Genuinely, grateful @GCHeliski resort let me sleep on their couch - & now (with rooms available) I've been upgraded.

Well, if I'm going to stay (or should I say be stuck) in the beautiful @GCHeliski lodge, I'm going to "earn my keep"

Heather Mountain Lodge


Jan 13 Heather Mountain Lodge

After a long day of work, our flash "Chef Dan," who led the crew in digging out Heather #Mountain Lodge today, sat down with the newly famous running legend "The Flash - Jamie Mc Donald." These guys must have called each other before getting dressed this morning!

we will miss you Jamie and your wide eyed perspective on the immense #BC #mountains that we call our backyard! — at Heather Mountain Lodge

Jan 7, 2014

After waking up in the Bulging Elk Guest House, Field, BC - I was greeted with a lovely surprise to start the day, an elk like chalk board that read: “Good Morning Jamie. I hope you had a good sleep. Enjoy the rest of your journey. You have inspired me. Susan.” Next to the message was a $40 donation - I scribbled her message out and wrote "Susan is awesome." Not only did Susan but me up for free in her guesthouse, she donated too.

Heading out of the town of Field with a spring in my step, I could hear someone screaming, but couldn’t figure out what the commotion was about. I turned around and seen a woman standing there and suddenly a kid came running at me to say “do you want to come to my school, my teacher wants to talk to you.” I headed over and met the teacher, I was invited in and I began to chat with the entire school, of eight kids.

The beginning of my talk, was about the cheese roll in Gloucester, during my schpeel, there was one kid that wasn't really listening, he bustled about doing handstands and such. When I was finishing my story, I mentioned that there were basically, only a few idiots that ended up ever agreeing to run down the hill. Suddenly, the wiggler, flipped over and fell to the ground. I looked around at the room full of kids and said “see, this is one of those idiots, he's definitely going to be doing it someday.” All the kids started to laugh, which had there attention immediately - I could then, lead into my true message; to go out in this world, pursue our dream and make a difference.

The teacher was very keen on wanting to talk about the incident in Banff, I did briefly talk on the matter, but I mostly spoke about how amazing people are, across Canada and the world.

I said my goodbyes to the kids and took off running, solo. For the first time I was running alone in what felt like weeks, it was nice. I quickly transported back to when I had originally started the journey in Newfoundland, where I'd be by myself for weeks on end. It's important that we become comfortable, with our own thoughts.

During the first few kilometres, there were some brutal inclines, that took my breath away. Being above 1000m, meant that altitude was playing a factor, too. However, once reaching over them, I was able to head downhill and views just seemed to be getting better. In fact everyday now, the views seem to become more spectacular. As I looked around, taking it all in, I seen loads of streams running through the mountains with many iced over. The water seemed so pure I felt like sticking my head in most of them, but that would of just been silly and most probably ended the run altogether.

With all the scenery had to offer, the miles seemed to pass quickly. As I pushed towards mile 10 and no one had stopped yet.

Although the sun was beaming in my face it was still very chilly, around -18C. I went to put sun cream on my shnoz but couldn’t, the suncream was frozen stiff. I rapped up my face with a scarf and went on. After the moisture of breathing into the scarf, that too froze, as hard as cardboard. I moved the scarf around in circles until eventually, every inch of the scarf was frozen, which made it pretty useless to protect my soon to be, red nose reindeer.

I battled on and soon it was turning dusk, getting darker by the second. At this point, I thought I would have already reached my destination but I hadn’t yet. I'd convinced myself that I'd missed the turn off for the warm cabin that I was supposed to be staying at. I became insecure, you could say panicking a little, temperatures were dropping fast and cars could no longer see me. I wanted to pull out my flashing lights, the problem with this, would mean I'd need my bare hands (which were already frozen) and pulling them out, handling frozen equipment might send my cold hands to the point of no return again.

With alarm bells going off, I started to sprint in darkness and within minutes, my first car of the day pulled in, yelling my name in a very strong British accent "JAMIE, I FOUND YOU!" Totally relieved, I took my gloves off, grabbed everything I needed (mainly lights) to run in the darkness while my hands, as I knew they would, froze. I ran over to the car to a familiar face, Sally. We gave each other a big, British hug and I jumped into her warm car to bring my hands back to life. She handed me a bag of treats from the UK, the one that had my home senses turned on were a packet of crisps, Monster Munch (pickled onion flavour), the holy grail of crisps where you loose your taste buds with one bite, for an entire day.

After my warm up and checking the google map to guestimate where I was staying that night, I knew I was pretty close. Just as I was turning off the highway, a man named Raph asked if I was “that guy”. After a brief chat, he seemed to know where I was staying and escorted me right to the chalet. Once we got to the chalet, he asked if I fancied coming back to his Woofing Farm, for dinner with a bunch of backpackers who were all German. I was extremely hungry, I immediately accepted.

During the demolishing of the Germans left over dinner, we had some meaningful chat and I was able to share my story, with Raph too. On the way back to the chalet with Raph, he sparked a smoke that enabled him to become very wise and deep. He then proceeded to tell me that what I was doing, was pure art! Pure Art? I've never looked at it that way, I couldn’t help but think, “really??” Hmmph, I wondered what was in that cigarette?

I set the alarm for 6am, drank a litre of coffee before going into my strengthening exercises. Sounds ridiculous and feels ridiculous - like I need more exercise before my run? Apparently, according to Athlete Academy, I do.

After the exercises, I began to head towards the highway, which was an extra two kilometres (meaning 4km's) from running to the location the night before, not that I'm counting or anything.

Lonesome again, I continued on tackling some major mountains for the first few kilometres, with fresh legs, it wasn't too bad. Eventually I reached a sign that read "10 mile downhill" which was going to lead me right into Golden, BC which was where I would be staying the night.

Opening up my stride, running with speed on the beautiful downhill, was exactly what I wanted to happen till the end of the day. After 4km's though, it suddenly shot up, steeply with the road bending around so I couldn't even see the top of the incline. How could this be? "10 miles downhill", what happened? I began to make baby steps pushing Caesar as hard as I could, I ranted to myself and envisioned myself ripping down the sign, taking a hammer to it. My mental state flicked faster than a light switch, I thought about going back, with my spray paint, to write "LIAR".

After my moody melt down I eventually made it to the top, where I thought an escort vehicle would be waiting, or should be waiting. I knew I was on a stretch where there was no hard shoulder (after speaking with some park rangers) weeks back, so I made a call the day before, to make sure I could have an escort for this particular stretch of highway.

At the top, there was no vehicle so I waited a little while. Little did I know, I had no signal for my phone, so I couldn't call anyone to ask where my pilot was - I knew in an hour or so it would be dark and that would be really dangerous, too. So I ran, hard, finally the sign was being truthful and I was full on sprinting, downhill. Whilst running downhill, I kept waving my hands around like a lunatic, on all of the blind corners so all vehicles could see me as soon as possible, I think it was working, well kind of.

There were a few funny looks and close calls as I ran facing traffic, sometimes, out on the road. It was frightening from time to time, with lorries barreling around corners - but I improvised well, by sprinting the sections with no traffic. To settle my nerves, I kept singing really loudly "Ain't nothing gonna break my stride...."

Arriving into Golden was a big relief and I ran straight into an awesome hotel, Days Inn. They had dinner paid for and everything on hand, if I needed anything.

With marathon 183 ticked off the box - dangerously no hard shoulder, steep climbs and quite a bit of ranting. I still can't believe I'm actually doing it.

8th January 2014, day off in Golden BC.

Accepting sacrifices.

Checking in to Days Inn Hotel, was the perfect entry into the city, with two nights stay for free and just the amount of time I needed to seek treatment for my chronic tendentious foot, which I have continued to run on now, for four months.

Although I had arrived late into town, massage therapist Nathalie Bertrand, came to my room to help between 11pm - 1230am, I know (in the middle of the night), phenomenal.

In the morning, for an important interview with CBC, I set the alarm for 5am to be ready, live on the early morning breakfast show at 545am. Once up, I drank a litre of coffee, without choice, I was up for the rest of the day - to only realise that the time difference was one hour ahead (I could have had an extra hour in bed).

Being up so early, I felt that this was my time to catch up on blogging, I started to write, stopped, typed a little more, stopped again - I couldn't do it. I've been blogging now for 10 months, the motivation to keep this up is ridiculously difficult. Most of the time it's after an exhausting marathon, where I'm constantly battling to keep my eyes open. However, that wasn't the case after all the coffee, but I just didn't want to write.

Annoyingly, it's a catch 22 to keep up with writing, because as mentally difficult and time consuming as it is - it's also where a lot of my motivation comes from. Facebook and twitter is the place where I hope to inspire people, and then it's also the area where all the fundraising comes from. I focused on this and reluctantly, squeezed out a two day blog after many hours.

Straight after blogging, another massage came from Karen Janicek, who spent some thorough time trying to recuperate my legs, and especially my foot as best as she possibly could.

Next up was to be whizzed off to the elementary school to motivate kids on the importance of movement. Towards the end, I made half the school stand and jog on the spot, while facing the other half of the school so they could be the judges. When telling the kids to run faster and faster, their smiles, obviously, became bigger and bigger. Making it easy for the judges to notice what I want them to see. "What do you see on their faces?" Half of the school screamed "they're smiling." Once I got them to sit down I then went into a passionate speech "every time you're sitting, watching the tv, playing games, GET UP and MOVE. We're supposed to MOVE, you only have to see our faces, it makes us HAPPY! So, never ever stop moving, no matter how old you get. MOVE, MOVE and MOVE some more.

After the talk, I was buzzing and moved onto lunch, at the Kicking Horse Mountain Resort, who wanted to treat the Mayor and I to some fancy food, in the tallest restaurant in north America, named Eagle Eye.

We took a gondola up to 8033ft elevation where the restaurant sat. Next to it had a sign that read "Caution Avalanche Control", which kind of freaked me out. However scared I was though, I was certainly blown away by the surrealness and beauty of the surrounding mountains, that high up.

The whole time we had a professional tour guide to add to the experience, who even joined Christina Benty (the lovely Mayor) and I for a top notch meal. It was great to connect with the Mayor of a town who showed great enthusiasm for what I was doing.

Christina really understood my caveman eating habits too, at the beginning of the meal she already handed half of her lunch over to me. I then began to polish everyone else's left over lunch, who was sat with us once I finished my dinner off. In the end I had four plates surrounding my own and I used my hands to shovel everything in, poutine, pork, the list goes on. Although in the classy joint, with the Mayor, I felt my company was totally on my hungry wave length, as Christina continued to stare in amazement at where all the food was disappearing to. She said "I could watch you eat all day."

Racing quickly to the next place, was another talk, this time at the College of the Rockies, the students were studying "adventure" tourism and they were older, 18+. It hit a different tone, although plenty of laughter, the questions became very deep and meaningful, especially about the reasons why I am running for children's hospitals. It showed at the end of the talk, when a girl came up to me, crying, saying, "you've really touched close to home, my family and I have been submerged in everything you have spoken about. It's amazing what you are going, you have no idea how many lives you've touched, you have to keep going." While her tears streamed, it filled up my soul. I wanted the whole world at this point, to feel what I felt. That's what never leaves my burning desire to run and make a difference, that's what motivates me.

I'd like to add a big thank you to Joanne Sweeting (from Tourism Golden) for organising/arranging everything you see. Joanne was contacted by some Momma Bears, and from there Joanne just flew with it and done everything she could, to create an amazing, inspiring and fundraising experience.

Before leaving town, I fitted one more treatment in for my foot - a session at Golden Physiotherapy & Sports Clinic, with Stephen Dykes. After he assessed my foot, we spoke about it. The arch of my foot, has been under so much stress, for so long that the inflammation and scar tissue build up, has now calcified. I now have a huge bone spur sticking out, on the top of my foot.

With 60 marathons to go, there was a decision to make (1) stop the run altogether (because it would have taken too long for the tendentious to heal properly. OR (2) to continue on running, knowing that I could possibly leave damage for the rest of my life.

As most of you know, despite the agony of running on it, I continued on. Nobody knows though, that this hole time I've had the thought of "possible permanent damage" in my mind. It's coming to light, with my foot that's starting to quite drastically, misshape, that the damage is taken place. Stephen, done the best he could by taping up my foot, for a quick fix and stayed very positive that a year of rehab after this run, might leave me with a lasting foot. However, I have accepted that this might not be the case.

I'm trying to show people we can do anything, if we try - and with this, can sometimes be sacrifices. I made the decision to continue on running to finish this journey off, I wouldn't change that for the world. In the grand scheme of everything, it's a foot, I have another one. As long as I keep my mind open, this won't get in the way of future challenges. I feel the difference this journey is making to other people's lives and for the future, is worth it.

9th January 2013, smelling rosy to Rogers Pass.

Beginning my 184th marathon leaving from Golden BC, I feel I'm nearing the end of the run. I can smell the Pacific Ocean... ok, not quite.

Knowing that I was creeping up on Rogers Pass I prepared for elevation hell but I found everything however, fairly... cruizy. Was I climbing? I couldn't tell. Maybe I was just feeling strong after my day off in Golden. For the first time in the mountains, I was having a jolly in the Rockies.

Jollying along, a train eased past to my left, with gorgeous mountains in the background and snow covering a "Christmas like" tree, in the foreground - I quickly pulled out my camera to take a shot, knowing this would be a once in a lifetime photo, a framer, one to show the grandkids.

After being snap happy, I looked back on the camera to see the photo that I had taken. It just so happened, that one of the trailers of the train read "Canada". I've seen picture perfect photos in books, magazines and wondered if these locations ever existed, they do, and I was seeing it in the flesh (see photo below).

Many miles passed by as I soaked up the beauty – as well as recognising the potent smell of cannabis - or what my nan likes to call it, wacky backy. Throughout Canada I’d heard that British Columbia was the place where everyone gets high and as cars passed, I could smell that this was the case!

By mile 12, a car pulled in. It smelt like flowers. A guy with really long hair and a beard was like "heeeeey maaan, I seen you on the newwwwws. I think it's awwwwesome what you're doing. Do you have a place to staaaay tonight?" I said "I do, but thanks for the offer." As cool as you like he then said "nnno worries, here's $20 for your cause. Good luck, maaaan." Maybe he was taking flowers home to his wife?

Eventually, it started to become dark, luckily by this point I managed to clock up enough miles that I was close to the home where I’d be staying for the night.

Once making it to the turn off to the home, I ran over some railway tracks and landed in the middle of an isolated, quiet forest with some desolate buildings. It became eerie, I wondered if I had the right place. As soon as I started to question myself, like all humans often do in situations like this, we begin to start thinking of the worst case scenario.

Frozen stiff, I envisioned an axe murder coming at me out of the dark forest, along with some wolves for his protection. As I was freaking out, a guy with a huge beard came out of nowhere, "heeeey!" For a split second I thought this was the nightmare coming true, once I heard "you must be Jamie", my heart slowed again.

John walked me over to his home, situated next to the frozen lake and I was warmly greeted by his wife Judy. As soon as I sat down, John's opening line was "do you want a drink?" I politely said "if you're having one, I'll have one." John replied, "heck yeah!!" While in someone’s home, if you want to connect with absolute strangers you have to do as they do. I also talked myself into it, I was another day closer to the ocean, I felt like I earned it.

Leaving there in the morning, the climb of Rogers Pass was well and truly underway, I was about to climb the furthest I've climbed in one go for the entire journey, racing to make it before a snow storm hit, which was coming in fast. It was time to really put the strength of my legs to the test and see how obese Caesar really was.

My lungs were blowing, erratically and there was no control over the oxygen intake for the first few miles. I felt the force of 70kg Caesar, baring down on me, with no let up. Every quarter of a mile, maybe less, I had to stop to catch my breath, before running on.

At mile 5, I was staring, I felt like I could have eaten an entire bear, single handedly - which on the run is very unusual for me to even want to eat. My preference, is building a huge appetite and then stuffing my face at the end of a run. However, I knew I'd burnt every last calorie in the space of those 5 miles, I had to eat. When checking Caesar for supplies, I found a tin of chilli tuna, canned sardines and a bag of nuts, to fill the gap. As I spooned fish in my mouth, it was slightly frozen, making the meal a little disappointing. I quickly added in the crunchy texture of nuts, which seemed to distract the nastiness of it all.

Immediately after the feed, I was energised and ready to continue on up the steep accent to Rogers Pass. The breathing was still heavy, this time though I managed to find a rhythm and more importantly, a switch off from the suffocation of oxygen, I somehow found peace.

Lately, reflection of my journey hasn't been happening too much, maybe because emotionally I'm in the thick of it, day after day. For some reason, the exhaustion of Rogers Pass, had me in deep thought about how far I've come, the people that I've met along the way and all the people that have picked me up, when I've been down. Every step was gruelling, or at least it should have been. Once I snapped out of my memories, it saddened me to think that this journey is nearly over.

With reality kicking in and 8 constant, exerting miles under my belt, I was back to thinking about the weight of Caesar. He seemed to be upsetting me, it's a shame because he can't defend himself. Caesar was such a burden, every step he was making me suffer. I began to rant in a really high pitch, soaking tone "why???? Why are you so obese!!!! Dam you Caesar!!!" My arms began to burn more, I continued on "ahhhhh, I hate you." I tried telling myself repeatedly "it's not his fault he's over weight, it's not his fault..."

After grinding out miles of ranting, the incline levelled out to pretty much, flat. Running on flatter terrain, brought hope that this run wouldn't be as brutal as it had been. However, this was quickly knocked down by the soft slush on the roadside. Now I was dealing with Caesar again, pushing hard through the resistance of the slush. Also, his wheels wouldn't grip, he slid everywhere. This seemed to send my anger over the edge again, "it is your fault, you are over weight, ahhhh!" Caesar, who's been my friend, through thick and thin, not matter what - sometimes my one and only friend on this trip - was now my enemy.

Down to my last 3 miles, I knew I'd be running on empty and there's nothing I could do about my empty tank. All I could do was accept, understand and hope that could continue to run forward. By now, I've built up enough self confidence to move forward, no matter how disgusted I feel with myself. Sometimes you just have to hate yourself, and enjoy it.

During those last few miles, I kept this mentality all the way to Great Canadian Heli-Skiing, a beautiful resort that were more than welcome to accommodate Caesar and I, even with no rooms available.

Luckily, another day down. I made the run before the huge snow storm hit, felt pretty bad about being so nasty to my friend (so just for the record) I made an apology to Caesar and we've made up nicely. Not only that but we've also took a big chunk off the biggest climb of the journey, Rogers Pass.

16 marathons to go.


Follow Jamie though the links below


https://www.facebook.com/jamiemcdonald.org                       http://www.jamiemcdonald.org/

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrJamieMcDonald                   http://jamie.t24solo.com/     

Some photos from Sudbury in early August to the west

We will continue to track Jamie weekly as he makes his way to the Pacific

As of  Wednesday January 8 Jamie is in Golden British Columbia




Upcoming Local Events


January 19, 2014

Full Poster Here

Sunday, January 19th: Sofie Manarin Nickel Loppet – This is the first event of the year in the Sudbury Fitness Challenge. Registration is now open online http://new.zone4.ca/ . We look forward to seeing you at this great event for both recreational and competitive skiers of all ages. Registration closes January 17th at 9:00 pm







Run Club Update



Store News


Hello Sudbury!

Hello Sudbury!

A big shout out to all those who came out for the Resolution Run last Wednesday and braved the friggid temperatures. Congrats to John Bolan who finished 1st with a time of just over 19 minutes.

Join us February 16th for the Hypothermic Half Marathon, Finishers receive a very cool metal and the registration fee includes a brunch ticket for after the race and a very nice hat and glove set.

Don't let the cold weather deter you from running outside this winter, the trick is to layer. Come check out what we have and we will help you address all your winter running needs.

Andrew, Davey and the Sudbury crew.

Training Program News

We have FREE run club Wednesday nights at 6pm and Sunday mornings at 8:30am.

Join us for FREE Practice Club



Track North News - by Dick Moss


Results - Sharon Anderson & Guelph New Year's Opener
Saturday January 4th

The Laurentian women's indoor track team opened their season this weekend at the University of Toronto's Sharon Anderson Open and the Guelph New Year's Opener.

The Vees returned with five medals and 10 top-six performances. At the Sharon Anderson meet, senior Adrienne Wilson won the 1500m with a fast kick, while breaking the OUA qualifying standard by over 10 seconds. Also qualifying for the OUA's was Samantha Edwards, who placed 4th in the 1500m with a time of 4:53.95 and Ashley Huard, who placed 5th in the 60m with a time of 7.84.

Pentathlete Alicia Violin placed 2nd in the shot put and fourth in both the 60m hurdles and long jump. She, along with Ashley Huard, Samantha Edwards, Michelle Kennedy and Lyndsay Greasley set personal bests in their events.

Two Laurentian athletes also competed at the Guelph New Year's Opener. Jackie Bray and Dani Gorrell placed 1st and second in the triple jump, with leaps of 10.39m and 10.02m respectively. Bray also placed 7th in the long jump with a distance of 4.54m.

The Voyageurs' next meet is in two weeks at the Fred Foot Invitational at the University of Toronto.

Laurentian Results

Adrienne Wilson
1st, 1500m, 4:44.51 (OUA Standard)

Samantha Edwards
4th, 1500m, 4:53.95 (Indoor PB - OUA Standard)

Ashley Huard
5th, 60m, 7.86, 7.84 heats (PB- OUA Standard)

Alicia Violin
2nd, Shot Put, 7.85 (PB)
4th, 60m Hurdles, 10.06, 9.66 heats (PB)
4th, Long Jump, 4.77m

Michelle Kennedy
6th, 1500m, 5:01.09 (PB)

Lyndsay Greasley
3rd, 3000m, 11:16.73 (PB)

Jackie Bray
1st, Triple Jump, 10.39m
7th, Long Jump, 4.54m

Dani Gorrell
2nd, Triple Jump, 10.02m

Dick Moss, Head Coach
Laurentian XC/Track Team
c/o Coach Moss <pedigest@cyberbeach.net>
Web: http://laurentianxctrack.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/laurentianxctrack/


For information call me.
Vincent Perdue
341 Fourth Ave, Sudbury On. P3B-3R9
vt perdue@cyberbeach.net

Proud sponsor of the Sudbury Rocks!!! Race, Run or Walk for Diabetes



All photos images and content copyright Sudbury Rocks!!

All Web site Graphic Design by Steve Violence


Click to Enter Site