HomeAbout UsContact InformationNewsletter ArchivesClubsEventsPhotosRace ResultsLinks



   Hello Everyone,                                                                                                                                                         January 1, 2014

In this Issue:


  1. 2014 Resolution Run Results
  2. Real Life Super Hero (Jamie's Progress)
  3. Upcoming Local Events - Walden Cross Country Events
  4. Running Room Update -
  5. Track North News - Indoor Track Schedule 2014


January 1, 2014


More Photos Here


The weather was more than a bit chilly but 75 brave runners and walkers took on the annual Running Room Resolution Run 5k. Temperatures hovered at -28 deg throughout the run but a warm sun and little wind made conditions reasonable. Coffee, hot chocolate and cookies greeted the finishers.

Our fastest male today was John Bolan (19:05) and our fastest female was Sarah MacLean (22:11)

Congratulations to all participants and thank you very much to all the volunteers. Everyone stayed at their posts and enthusiastically supported the runners along the route.

We'll see you all next year.

All Results Here



Real Life Super Hero (Jamie's Progress)


        Jamie McDonald writes:

Dec 25 Leaving Calgary. Busy hwy with no hard shoulder, throwing Caesar up on snow banks to escape head on collisions, nightmare.

Dec 25 Found a pathway, only trouble is that it's packed with snow, trudging.

Dec 25 Calgary night. Dangerous night running, still no shoulder, this could be the last time I run in the dark, not literally, I hope.

Dec 25 Mike's Home. Escorted the last few km's into @mikepphoto @NikaPedersen home, it looks like I'm getting my Xmas dinner, after all

Dec 25 XMas dinner. Earlier I ate tin tuna for my Xmas meal, now, I'm on an unexpected round two, turkey dinner, with absolute strangers

Dec 26 Breakfast fit for champions with @mikepphoto @NikaPedersen, preparation before tackling the foothills of the Rockies

Dec 26 First view of the Rockies. Time to embrace my fear

Dec 27 Another Rockies view. The Rocky Mountains don't look too scary this morning, in fact, they look magnificent

Dec 27 Headwind. Few miles in with super fit @shannonrun, double teaming Caesar up the foothills in once again, ridiculous headwind

Dec 27 I asked @shannonrun "are we in the mountains yet?" She replied "nope, still the warm up hills." Dam it.


Dec 27 : "Karli"a lady drives out with a camper van for a candle lit dinner, in the boonies; my first official DATE in 2 years

Dec 28 Road to the Rockies Hard shoulder is tough to run on, roads look dry, few miles in going strong.

Dec 28 Support. Tim Kessler brought @MrJamieMcDonald some warm soup and snacks on #hwy1 He's heading for #StoneyNakodaResort!

Dec 28 Evening. Gradually climbing with @MillarKarli, to keep us alive, I just attached my Flashing boobies

Dec 29 Entering the Rockies into a 70kmh headwind, with team BATUS & crazy Larry...

Dec 29 Troops are building as we are nearing to Dead Mans Flats, the Rockies are being smashed.

Dec 29 Hwy meeting

Dec 29 Unreal running support which helped subside the pain & a few hip, hip hoorays to finish the day. 22 marathons to go!

Dec 29 Finally, a proper curry at #TheJunction House, it also seems I've adopted Crazy Larry, or more like, he's adopted me

Dec 29 Copperstone Resort. Thanks @CopperstoneRH for the night stay, enjoyed the added bonus to, being checked in by Miss musical @ReidIsabelle http://www.reverbnation.com/IsabelleReid


Dec 30 A few miles in, he's so off the wall I think I'm falling in love with him, there's only one Crazy Larry

Dec 30 Everyone is honking and waving, so awesome! “@mandicampbell: @MrJamieMcDonald as he makes his way through Canmore!

Dec 30 at the Communitea Cafe greeting MrJamieMcDonald he's in Canmore!

Dec 30 Meet the Champ.The little super hero is 2 yrs old. He is an Alberta Children's Hospital and @STARSambulance alumni

Dec 30 Fuel for tomorrow's run, awesome! “@mandicampbell: With @MrJamieMcDonald at @crazyweedkitch in Canmore for an amazing dinner!

Dec 31

CBC article from Calgary including video

British man on cross-Canada charity run takes on the Rockies

Dec 31 Great to meet u @MrJamieMcDonald have fun in Banff. We're around the corner if u want to pop in 4 a beer 2nite

December 25

Running on Christmas Day, why not?

So I decided to do all my blogging and messaging and was really touched by all the messages sent, to wish me a Merry Christmas. Before I knew it, it was lunch time and I wanted to just eat at the hotel room so I cracked open a can of chilli tuna fish and spooned it out with beef jerky – I told myself the beef jerky was kind of Christmassy. It didn’t matter that it was Christmas day really, as it was about a month ago that I broke down and accepted that I wasn’t going to be home for Christmas with my family. So I packed by bags and headed off. I thought it was going to be a smooth flowing day – since it’s Christmas, it ought to be.

As soon as I hit the highway, there were no hard shoulders because the snow was packed up and covering them up. There was two feet of snow on the shoulder. So, I ran facing the traffic and after making it about a mile the traffic was becoming really heavy – why were people out on Christmas day? Should they not be eating dinner, or pulling crackers? They were annoying me, the situation was irritating. I had to keep throwing 60kg Caesar up and onto the shoulder (on top of the snow bank) using all my upper body strength. I found a small opening of 200 meter and I would take Caesar down and race through before the next lot of cars would come through. I covered a pathetic four miles in the space of two hours. I’d had enough of this strategy of sprinting and stopping, so I started trudging through the snow on the median (that’s what Canadians call the island that separates the two directions of traffic). To add insult to injury, some cars would slow down and yell “you f***ing idiot – what are you doing, get off the highway”. I was kind of stuck, so I just wished them a Merry Christmas and continued to sing the John Lennon song that was stuck in my head all day “so this is Christmas, and what have you done. Another year over and a new one just began...”

I couldn’t continuously run which was so frustrating, because my legs were fresh - I wanted to give it all I had, but I just couldn’t – what happened to the perfect CHRISTMAS that I've been used to for 27 years? Eventually a car pulled off to the side and rolled down a window in a casual fashion and asked ‘hey, how are you doing’. I was concerned for the safety of the driver as there were cars barrowing down at what seemed like 120 km per hour. So I waved the driver on and asked him to keep on going. He said ok ‘I’ll see you again”. Sure enough, 5 minutes later he turned up again. He got out of the car and walked over, while I was stuck on the median, to wish me a "Merry Christmas" and gave me a $20 bill for a donation – he was Italian and I got that gregarious ‘hey Merry Christmas’. He (his name was Penn) offered to escort me till he could get me off the highway and the way that the last few hours went, I was very accepting of this help – he knew who I was and want I was doing. I ran in front of his car for 1km until I made it onto a pathway, but the pathway was so narrow that Caesar couldn’t even fit in some places. It was a balmy 5 degrees, so everything was soft and slushy, making it nearly impossible to run, I was exerting all my energy to get a pace of no more than 6 km per hour. Not to mention I was now on a serious incline -yup, the foothills of the Rockies.

It started to become dark, so I just kept going and once the path ended I was again left on the highway with no shoulder, but now in darkness. I tried to light myself up like a Christmas tree and face the traffic, but facing the traffic felt like the cars didn’t have enough time to adjust and move out of the way. I had a few close calls. Reluctantly, I moved back to running with the traffic (which is something I never do because I want to see the vehicles) – I just had to have faith that the cars could see me. If there was another road I could have taken to Vancouver, I would have.

At this point I knew I was getting somewhere close to Mike and Nika’s house who offered to take me in for the night.

Blog continued by Mike Pedersen:

"After a few phone calls and repeated checks to Jamie’s tracker, Nika and I decided it was time to go and find Jamie. We weren’t sure how his day was going to turn out as he had left his hotel quite late. He seemed motivated to make it to our place on the edge of the city, so we were ecstatic. We headed East down the #1 highway until we saw Jamie and Caesar on the other side of the road. After a quick turnaround we pulled up behind Jamie and I jumped out to give him a massive hug. I came prepared to run the last 6 or so kilometres with Jamie, but first we pulled him into the SUV for some hot chocolate and a little warming up. This also gave us a chance to tell Jamie how excited we were to be able to help, especially on Christmas Day.

Hopefully he was able to pull in some of the positive energy and use it the rest of the way. Shortly afterwards Jamie declared “Okay, I’m ready to go”. On that note we hopped out and hit the road. I figured that since I was only there for a quarter of his day’s run (less than 1/1000th of his total run), I ought to at least push Caesar the rest of the way. Only a few minutes in a police van pulled up in front of us and started flashing its lights. We jogged on up to their window to say "hi". They were very friendly and wanted to know what we were up to. They noted that they were here because of a strange call about “someone running with a wheelchair down 16th ave”. Jamie gave him his spiel (obviously not his first run in with the long arm of the law). They seemed pleased with the explanation and wished him the best of luck on the rest of his journey. Luckily Jamie is very adept at convincing people he’s not insane.

Running along with Jamie was a little surreal. We have been following his run for so long now and it felt like he’d stepped right out of one of his YouTube videos into our lives. I admitted to Jamie that when I first saw the headlines about a British Marathoner running across Canada at a marathon a day pace I had pictured someone quite different. In my mind I envisioned the elite athlete who had been running competitively for ages and was going out to showcase his phenomenal abilities. I had then clicked over to Jamie’s site to at least see what it was all about. I was stunned to see that he was just a guy who had decided to do something unbelievable. That was the moment I was truly hooked on Jamie’s story and his run. He’s the kind of guy you want your children to think of when you tell them they can achieve anything in their lifetimes.

The rest of our run was smooth and pleasant given the wide shoulders near the outskirts of the city and the near perfect weather. As we pulled up to our house I told Jamie of our plans to whisk him off to my parent’s house 30 minutes away for a proper Christmas dinner. He was surprised that this offer was on the table and was eager to join in. Before we left, however, we had one surprise for Jamie! I had wrapped up one of my prints from Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park (in the iconic Rocky Mountains) and explained that we thought it was important that he have a Christmas gift to take home to help him remember his time in Canada. We also wanted to make sure that he took the time to embrace the beauty of our mountains rather than focusing his fear of crossing them. Jamie accepted, genuinely surprised to get a gift at all.

After a few quick tweets, texts, and status updates we were on the road. Jamie fell asleep in the passenger seat about 5 minutes into the drive. As we pulled up to my parent’s house Jamie woke up more or less revitalized and ready to take on Christmas dinner. Everyone came over to meet Jamie, with my daughter Kaja being the most excited of the bunch. With the introductions done it was time to starting filling plates. I had joked with Jamie that he would be fed tinned fish and butter. Instead the spread included turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with glazed pecans, stuffing, gravy, brussel sprouts in cheese sauce, and of course cranberry sauce. As I saw Jamie attack his full plate I couldn’t help but hear his catchphrase “DEMOLISHED”. We both went back for seconds. To finish it off we had a bowl of my mom’s Christmas pudding with lemon sauce – it wouldn’t be a real Christmas dinner without it.

After dinner Jamie regaled us with stories from his travels and insights into what makes him tick. Kaja made him promise to visit us again if he comes back. He said he absolutely would, if he’s able to finish this journey. I had to tell him that he’s always welcome whether he finishes or not. I told him that we love him not because he has succeeded, but because he has tried. That being said, I truly believe he’s going to make it.

I was starting to feel like we’d done a good job giving Jamie the Christmas day he deserved (or at least the best we could on short notice). Luckily, we had one more surprise. We pulled out a stocking and handed it to Jamie. Nika then explained how she had printed off copies of a short letter explaining Jamie’s mission and had gone out with the kids on Christmas Eve to drop them off at the houses of our neighbors. The request was to drop off a Christmas card for Jamie, and if they wanted a donation for the children’s hospital as well. We managed to get 10 cards with donations. Jamie took them out one at a time and was able to savour all of the positive wishes in the cards and add the donations to his final tally. I’m probably biased, but my favourite two cards were the ones put in by my children. Evan (6yo) had written a short Christmas comic involving Santa being chased by a reindeer. In the envelope he had emptied out the contents of his piggy bank (which aside from a $20 bill was all coins). Kaja (11yo) had included $100 of her own money and wrote Jamie this lovely note:

“Dear Jamie,

Thank you for coming to run across Canada! You have inspired me so much! This year, for Christmas, I hope you find warmth, love, and happiness. It is amazing that you got an idea to change the world, and you went for it! Thank you for being kind, giving, a leader, and a super hero!

Sincerely, Kaja”

I could tell that Jamie was touched by it all, not only the extra $600 of donations, but also the sentiment of those who took the time to support him. We brought him back to our house discussing the challenges still to be faced ahead, and hoping that we had provided enough warmth to get past them."

December 26

The foothills, embracing the fear.

I sank one litre of water, then one litre of organic black coffee and stuffed my face with an enormous omelette - my preparation to tackle the foothills of Rocky Mountains.

Mike ran a couple of km's, to run me out of his town. As we were heading over some small inclines, I sarcastically said "so, is this as tough as it's going to get through the mountains?" He chuckled, "it's probably going to be a little bigger, for sure." Once we reached one of the hilltops, Mike thanked me for what I was doing in Canada and wished me well, before heading back.

He left me with one of the most spectacular views of my life, in the distance, 20 miles away, were the crystal blue, ice capped Rocky Mountains. Finally I had to face my fear, it's silly because for months now, I've been anticipating this very moment with the mountains in touching distance, however, for some reason I was no longer scared.

This had nothing to do about being brave, but more to do with "embracing the fear". Let's face it, why do we watch scary movies? Because deep down, fear is a human sense that believe it or not, we want it, we thrive on it.

Once my legs got moving again, towards the mountains - I was excited about the most difficult part of the journey. My imagination and visions went crazy of being at the highest summit - Rogers Pass - it gave me goose pimples.

About 5 miles in, the hills began to roll with steeper inclines, I began to struggle, especially pushing obese Caesar, weighing over 60kg. Ever since I visited the Suffield army base camp, Caesar has piled on the weight (all essential equipment of course) like a warmer sleeping bag, cooker etc. But, to have gear to survive in the worse case scenario, means I have to pay the price for it.

The inclines weren't the only issue, by mile six the headwind grew, uncontrollably - even pushing Caesar on the downhills was near impossible. Gusts of wind up to 45mph, I've never in my life ran against that kind of wind, it was like pushing a freight train.

I was screaming with frustration, I've just been awarded with 'Male Runner of the Year', yet I didn't have the lung capacity to battle through these conditions. Every minute I had to stop for a 20 second break, to pant away like a dog. Even giving it everything I had, I was now at crawling pace - two miles an hour, the harder I pushed, the stronger the wind grew.

I put my head down to stare at my feet, so I would be more streamlined but witnessing my tiny baby steps, made me think 'Male Baby of the Year'. I would have been faster if I gotten on my hands and knees to crawl.

After chipping away two more miles, taking another hour, it dawned on me that pushing obese Caesar through the mountains (with or without wind) is going to be a mammoth task on its own.

Somehow, after many gradual hours, I reached mile 10. I could see a petrol station a mile ahead, so I headed straight for it.

After battling a further mile, I'd made it to the station, apparently that was the only "thing" I was going to see for another 23 miles. With it now getting dark, the next place of civilization was too far away to continue on. I asked to sleep somewhere, in or around the petrol station but they weren't too keen, surprisingly. I did have a tub of Christmas dinner though (from the day before) and they let me use their microwave, happy days.

Nika and Mike who I stayed with the night before, already called the petrol station (after seeing where I was on the tracker) to see if I could sleep there. Once they knew I couldn't, they had already prepared a car that I could sleep in.

I feel pretty pathetic and deflated after only covering 11 miles but I am comforted by knowing I've edged a little closer to the "lump", the so called Rocky Mountains. Another day or so and I'll be right in them and conquering them.

"I'm bigger than the Rockies", at least that's what I keep telling myself.



27th December 2013

- My first official Date, in two years.

Here's a blog from Shannon Flynn who ran with me most of the day:

"Four hours with Jamie McDonald

About 2 week ago my friend Kelly posted about running with a guy who has been running across Canada. I had never heard of him before. She said that I should go out and run with him and that he was truly inspiring.

I was nervous when I woke up, I haven't logged any serious km's since the summer (although having 5 marathons under my belt) I was worried about keeping up with him. The wind was pretty bad before heading out. I got to the gas station around 10:15am and couldn't find him anywhere. His tracker said he was still there so I kept searching. He was at the back of the lot, checking his tires on Caesar, I was happy to see him. The guy who lent him his vehicle from the night before said good-bye. Jamie then went on to do his stretches before we left.

As he was in the gas station this guy who had been sleeping outside beside his push bike, asked me to take his picture. I was a little worried but as I was talking with him he had mentioned that he had come from the airport and was trying to catch up with Jamie McDonald. I couldn't believe it, I told him, "he's inside", he went crazy, he was so excited and couldn't believe his luck! I think that's when I realized how much Jamie is inspiring people in Canada and around the world, he's a big deal!

After Jamie and "Crazy Larry" swapped stories we were off. We started heading west along Hwy 1 and I offered to run with Caesar, I realize how heavy it is to push a stroller (I have one of my own) and how it's nice to not have that burden while running. Since I was only running for a couple of hours I figured that I could help out. We crossed the highway to run against the traffic. It was a busy day out, with the sun shining, everyone must be on Christmas vacation. We got a lot of honks and I was so impressed at the semi's moving over to give us space on the road. The first 2-3 km's were great, no wind and it felt pretty warm.

A truck stopped, just up the road and warned Jamie about the nasty weather coming in tomorrow - everyone in the truck, including this sweet 80 year old lady, gave him some money for the Alberta's Children's Hospital.

After about 10 minutes we set off again, the wind picked up, nothing too crazy, not yet anyway. After another couple of km's it picked up some more, I really had to dig deep in helping push Caesar, I didn't complain once though, how could I? Jamie does this EVERYDAY.

Jamie and I talked about his stationary bike world record, where he had to be awake for 24 hrs without sleep, then chose to be awake for 40 hrs because he couldn't sleep at 24 hrs - (he was too excited). I asked if he was a great partier back in his earlier days. He said "yes, I channeled most of my energy into partying, I would always attempt to be the last man standing. Although these years feel kind of wasted, it helped build my personality. What's great now is that I've finally found that by channelling all of my energy into what I'm doing at present, it seems to make a bigger difference." We talked about his family and his support back in the UK and about all the wonderful Canadians and people along his journey.

I mention that we have a lot of British police at the Calgary Police Service, sure enough 10 minutes later a family started walking towards us from a rest stop! They are from the UK and her husband is a Calgary Police officer now. Too funny how a story can turn into reality. Her son and daughter asked their Mom to drive out to see Jamie. It was so sweet, you can see he loves kids and you can tell that he is inspiring them with his journey. We stopped and warmed up in their car. It was great to get out of the wind and stop the howling in the ear.

When we started again, this time my legs were sore, I don't do rests very well. Jamie and I talked about this and he says it is tough on him too but the rests do help his recovery, long term - I'm guessing he feels relief when stopping as well, Jamie is in pain with every step.

We got to the start of the next hill and I needed help with Caesar, so the two of us pushed him up the hill, "double teaming" as Jamie puts it. With the wind reaching up to 60km/h, it started to become really tough so I eat an energy bar to regain some focus. Jamie never eats or drinks while he runs, it really amazes me. When people offered him water I was taking it and saying thank you! I didn't have nearly enough with me, I couldn't imagine being in these predicaments daily.

Jamie asked if we were near the mountains, I said "no, you don't hit the mountains until Banff, these are the foothills, or the warm up hills should I say." I feel so bad, because Caesar is so hard to push on the foothills, it's going to be gruelling when he hits the actual mountains.

I was happy to only be running for a couple of hours with Jamie, I can't imagine doing this for 10 months, especially through all weather conditions that Canada continues to throw at him.

A blister started to form on my toe but again, I said nothing to Jamie. Jamie's body is in a real mess, but no matter what he continues on in such a positive manner, a perfect running buddy.

We kept plugging along and hit the bottom of Scott's Hill. I usually drive this hill, I had no idea how brutal it was when running, intense would be an understatement. As we tackled the climb, Jamie was now pushing Caesar, at this point I seriously had no strength left, especially against the wind and the steep incline. I helped him out occasionally with the pushing, but I was struggling. We seen a car up ahead and I thought it was Kelly with our lunch but It wasn't. It was another lady and her son from Longview, who have driven out to meet Jamie. It's so surreal to see how he is inspiring so many people.

After they left we kept tackling the hill, I was counting the minutes and seconds for it to finish!

At the top we seen Kelly! So excited, we crossed the road to a safe stop, her kids Jack and Charlie ran out to meet us. They have been following Jamie for weeks. We got in the car and Kelly had lunch and hot drinks to offer. 5 minutes later my sister pulled up to drive me home. My stretch of running was over, phew...

I couldn't believe that Jamie was going to continue on, I was completely exhausted - although we only covered 17km's at this point, with the terrain, elements and Caesar, it felt like we ran a marathon.

Thank you Jamie for letting me run with you today. I know your journey will keep going and you will continue to inspire and create change. Go Flash Go!!"

The blog has finished from Shannon, so I'll be writing the rest.

Sitting in Kelly's car she went into a huge spiel, "I have a date for you tonight, her name is Karli, she's my friend, you are going to love her. She's bringing her camper van out for you, along with a candle lit dinner." I laughed my head off thinking she was joking, but she wasn't.

I was handed a bunch of flowers from Kelly "here, I got these for you, to give to Karli". She REALLY wasn't joking. As well as the situation being hilarious, I was kind of nervous too, I hadn't been on a date for two years - I've clearly been on the road too long.

Feeling total exhausted, I fell a sleep in the car, 5 minutes later I woke up to hear 6yr old Charlie whispering "Mom, I can't stay quiet anymore, I'm going stir crazy." The kids we so quiet while I slept.

Revitalized I got out of the car and ran on, strongly. Kelly said that she was going to tail me until my date arrived.

I did go over a hump, at 1500m, apparently this was one of the highest summits on my route - over the last week I've been climbing so gradually, I didn't even notice.

Once it became dark, I decided to find a spot off the highway, away from the loud traffic, didn't really want the noise to kill the mood of the candle lit dinner.

Once finding a nice spot, next to an Indian reserve. Ed Paget turned up, from finding me on the tracker. He brought beers with him, I sank one, I thought it would be perfect to settle my nerves.

A couple of hours had passed and still no date, was this girl playing hard to get?

Eventually Karli arrived in her huge, old school motor home - when she got out she greeted me with a big hug. Karli had been following my journey for months.

Karli went back into the home to lay out the table and prepare the food, as well as lighting the candles. Whilst she done this, Kelly passed me the flowers, so I quickly pounced handing her a massive bouquet - she laughed her head off but I could tell, it hit the spot, her cheeks went rosy.

Everyone had left, now it was just Karli and I, sitting around the dinner table, it was time for Karli's turn to get me back. She handed me a card, as I opened it, 200 dollars fell out and it started to play a musical tune by Salt and Pepa "what a man.... What a man... What a mighty good man..." I opened up the card so the music stopped, the card read "I think you are one of the most amazing, inspirational people I have ever met. I hope to one day have half the determination and drive that you do. I know it gets hard to keep going sometimes, but I believe there is no other crazy b*****d that could pull this off like I know you will. Your almost there, and when you get there that will be one of the most amazing days of your life. And I hope your not to tired and sore to enjoy every second of it. Keep fighting the good fight, you're my new hero for sure." I was really touched by the lovely message, when I closed it, the music kicked back in "what a man.... What a...." We both laughed are heads off.

My first official date in two years, 23 marathons to go.

28th December 2013 - The Flash Freeze.

When I went to bed it was a balmy 5C outside, I already made my mind up that the weather would be ok in the morning, even though I heard that a Flash Freeze was on the way. When I reached for the caravan door at 8am, you would of thought by now that I would have understood what the word "Flash" meant, but this had a whole new meaning, within hours the temperature had dropped 25 degrees, making it -20C. It's been over a week since I've ran in these kind of temperatures, it felt like an arctic blast. I was totally unsure about running on the highway after such a dramatic temperature change, I thought the roads would be so dangerous and icy - surely wet slush freezing would be disastrous? I already talked myself out of running that day.

I decided to send out some tweets to get some feed back to see if anyone knew of the current road conditions, to see if it was too dangerous or not. I was faced with 95% of the tweets telling me to not run, I already knew that was going to be the response anyway. I lingered around in the warm camper van, annoyed that I couldn't get out there to run. Was I annoyed? Or was I happy that I didn't have to run? Eventually, after a few hours had passed, I hoped it was a situation where I made excuses not to run. So I decided to physic myself up and make up reasons to get my butt moving - the name of the storm jumped out at me, surely I must run in the storm named after me, Flash Freeze.

After a ridiculously late start, 2pm. I knew I was going to be running partly through the night, but as long as I was out chipping away at the miles getting closer to Vancouver, nothing else mattered.

For the first few kilometres, it was exactly how I thought it would be on my second guess, the roads were fine. Amazing how your mind tricks you in to thinking the worst, a mental mechanism was used to try and stop me from running that day, I know it. After conquering the few kilometres, I was happy I turned the day around.

8 km in, Karli - my date from the night before, had arrived to run me all the way to Stoney Nakoda Casino. At the beginning of the run, Karli kept insisting to push Caesar, even up steep inclines. I let her have a go on the first one and soon she became seriously out of breath, I knew she would of - because I would have been the same, even with a 177 marathons under my belt.

Watching Karli trying to help, sent my "man ego" a little wild - it was now time for me to man up and take the reigns so I made the decision right there and then to take over Caesar, for the rest of the haul. The last time my ego got the better of me, was back in the school days, trying to bust out the caterpillar at the school disco, thought I was way too cool for school I did. This time however I was trying to be cool by pushing a baby stroller down the highway.

Every 10 minutes, Karli would say "Let me take him". I would always reply with "No, Caesar is mine, I want him, I need him, I will push him." The voices in my head were on repeat, chanting "I'm the man, I'm the man" I had to live up to the expectation of the card she got me (with the musical tune) - "What a man, what a mighty good man".

In the space of 5 minutes - 3 cars pulled in all to hand over donations! One gentleman greeted me with a big hug and said "I'm a runner myself and I think what you are doing is just amazing. Here's everything I have." He pulled out every single dollar he had in his wallet and sincerely said "I don't even know what your cause is, but whatever it is, it must mean a lot to you, so take it all." Although $120 is a huge amount of money, the way he handled the situation felt like he was handing over a million dollars, what a boost.

Karli and I continued on and slowly it was becoming dark. We were worried about the nightfall so we pulled over so I could pull out my new, two flashing lights and put them to the test. It just so happened that the lights strapped perfectly to my chest, in front of my man nipples - Flash with flashing boobies, so ridiculous.

As we continued in the dark, I noticed that Karli was really starting to struggle. She would sneak in the odd walk every once in awhile and then try to catch up with me. I continued to run and I decided she needed a few simple words, "your doing really well, Karli". She snapped back as if she wasn't too happy with my praise, "no Jamie, your doing really well!" Deep down in the situation I knew I wasn't great either but through my experience, by the sound of her voice, I knew she was really pushing her limit.

Sure enough, with 1km left to go, she said "you run on Jamie, I'm going to have to walk the rest of the way". I could feel it coming but I couldn't allow her to finish like this and on her own, so I said "no worries, lets just take a little break". Once we got going again, she continued to shuffle her feet, trudging up hill and I slowed down my run so she could stay with me the whole way. I knew how she felt, I'd been there a million times before.

We eventually made it, although in the middle of no where, we were at Stoney Nakoda, a Casino (I received a tweet earlier that day to say the Casino was treating to me to a room). I pushed Caesar into the Casino in search for the buffet meal, to find a much bigger surprise, Crazy Larry! His eyes were as wide as I remember them, "where did you go Jamie? How did we miss each other, from the other day? I've been searching for you for so long! You don't know how much this means to me - Jamie, you're my Christmas present!" He pleaded, "can I cycle next to you tomorrow?" Before he went off to sleep in the bush, outside I said "yes, of course you can crazy Larry." This man was seriously determined to spend some time with me, I had no idea what tomorrow would bring.

23 marathons left to go...

December 29

About to tackle my 178th marathon in 10 months, follow my #tracker: jamiemcdonald.org lets do this! Entering the Rockies into a 70kmh headwind, with team BATUS & crazy Larry

Unreal running support which helped subside the pain & a few hip, hip hoorays to finish the day. 22 marathons to go! Made it to Deadman Flats and Copperstone resort for the night.


December 30

#Marathon No 179, I think it's about time I call myself a runner. Follow my #tracker: jamiemcdonald.org as I run the Rocky Mountains.

Jamie is in Canmore today and the media caught up with him


Another run through the Rockies to Canmore, disappointingly not far enough but I am edging closer to the Pacific Ocean. 21 marathons to go.




December 31

Today I found out about a guy called Kevin Thomson.

In March 1999, Kevin began a run without a support team across Canada from Vancouver to Newfoundland, where I started my run. He finished on December the 30th, having aimed to reach the end of his run in time for the New Year and to celebrate the new millennium as it reached Canada. (All of this is documented at www.runninginto2000.com)

When I found out about Kevin, I felt a few things. Firstly, awe and respect for a man who’s achieved something I’ve dreamt about every night for nearly a year and then, disappointment. I’ve ran almost 4,500 miles, a marathon most days in weather recently as bad as -40 with the aim of becoming the first person in history to cross Canada without a support team and now, as I’m nearing the end and preparing to give it everything in the hardest part of my journey, the Rockies in winter, to find out somebody did it 14 years ago is a bit of a blow. It shouldn’t be, but finding motivation where I can is something I’ve gotten good at and this was another of those things, something that kept me going, just like the time goal I had when I beat the world record on the static bike.

Straight away I had a horrible feeling in my stomach and I knew I wouldn’t be true to myself if I didn’t congratulate Kevin and acknowledge what an amazing achievement it is to do what he has done as it must be a horrible feeling to achieve it and have some guy from England steal his glory! Today, New Year’s Eve, couldn’t be more perfect a day to do it, on the 14th anniversary of his finish.

As I think he lives in Vancouver, it’d be great to shake his hand at the end, look him in the eye and just know what he had to do to get through the adventure. As he said in a very kind message he sent, “More people should undertake these types of adventures, and we should all be encouraging of such.” I can’t help but feel a bit gutted but know this is the right thing to do and am sure some of you might like to congratulate him on his run's anniversary.

Happy New Year!

Kevin Thomson replies:

Hey Jamie, thanks for the shout out, but there is no diminishing anyone's effort even when learning of other peoples adventures. I suspect there was someone who ran across Canada self-supported even before me, but they flew way under the radar so I never found out about them. Regardless, each journey is as unique as each person that undertakes it. You have inspired thousands of people and I know that if there should be someone who chooses to do a self-supported run across Canada in the future, you would be the first in line to cheer them on and tell them the same thing I'm telling you. It's an incredible life-changing experience with the power to do much good. I do hope to see you at the finish line to feel the power of good people chasing dreams and all that means for a hopeful world. Happy New Year to you!

December 31

Finally - Banff National Park


Dec 31 He's here! MrJamieMcDonald at Banff NP, a very warm welcome!

Dec 31 Entrance to Banff town. Great running with @MrJamieMcDonald today. Swapped some stories about the TCH, low points and high. Amazing guy!


January 1, 2014

Jamie was robbed on New Year's Eve!

Putting a call out - my bag was taken on New Years Eve in Banff, everything I own. Including my hard drive, Camera, and my wallet and all my positions. Please RT & help find it, the bag could be worth a million dollars in fundraising, please help.

Update about my time in Banff
Having spent a crazy day speaking to the police and the media, I wanted to update everybody who’s been kind enough to read, share and care. My bag, including my possessions, priceless hours of footage of my journey across Canada and my wallet, amongst other things, has been found.
Some of you may know that I was attacked in the early hours of New Year’s Day in Banff and that I left quickly after the unprovoked attack, leaving my bag. I was told it had been taken. I reported the incident to the police today, including what I remembered of the three attackers. The police have been phenomenally supportive.
I would like to make it clear that none of this happened in Earls Restaurant in Banff, where I spent some time on New Year’s Eve. I had gone on to another place. I have nothing but good things to say about Earls Restaurant, I had a great time there.
I have been amazed at the response, from friends and strangers and from the British and Canadian media, both of which have helped spread my story. I wish the story didn’t have to have an unfortunate incident in order to reach people, but I’m glad in a way because the more people that know about my journey, the more children it might be able to help. As the saying goes, every cloud has a silver lining and the additional donations as a result of people hearing about this are hugely appreciated.
As I mentioned earlier, I’m physically fine and was obviously very shaken up, but the support has been incredible. Although I’d been told my bag had been taken, it appears that whoever did so had a change of mind, as the bag was found at/near the place I left after the attack.
I would like to thank you all again, especially the people of Banff, who’ve shown me the most incredible hospitality, and as I told a journalist here, I’d like to say that this doesn’t affect my thoughts about Canada one bit – I’ve had the best experiences here and the world-famous Canadian hospitality has been proved to be anything but a stereotype.
If you’d like to donate to the causes for sick children I’m supporting, please do so by clicking this link.


Follow Jamie though the links below

https://www.facebook.com/jamiemcdonald.org                       http://www.jamiemcdonald.org/

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrJamieMcDonald                   http://jamie.t24solo.com/     

Some photos from Sudbury in early August to the west

We will continue to track Jamie weekly as he makes his way to the Pacific

As of  Wednesday January 1 Jamie is in Banff Alberta




Upcoming Local Events


January 5, 2014

All Information Here



January 12, 2014

All Information Here





Run Club Update



Store News


Hello Sudbury!

For all you long distance runners out there be sure to sign up now for the Hypothermic Half Marathon February 16th, 2014. This event fills up fast and attracts runners from all over the province.

Happy running,

Andrew and Davey

Training Program News

We have FREE run club Wednesday nights at 6pm and Sunday mornings at 8:30am.

Join us for FREE Practice Club



Track North News - by Dick Moss


Indoor Track Schedule for 2014

Hey Vees and Supporters,

Here's our indoor track schedule for 2014. Departure times are tentative. If you have a problem with a departure time, let me know - we may be able to change it. As always, I'll send an updated itinerary the week of the race.

Fri-Sat Jan 3-4: Guelph New Year's Opener
Get there on your own, or with Jim Taylor (from Sudbury)
Contact us if interested
Location: Guelph U. Indoor Track

Sat Jan 4: Sharon Anderson Open
Get there on your own, or with Darren (from Sudbury).
Contact us if interested
Location: U. of Toronto Indoor Track

January 18, 2014 - Fred Foot Invitational
Depart: 1:00 PM, Friday Jan 17
Return: Sat. Jan 18 - Depart after meet at about 5:00 PM - return by 11:00 PM
Location: University of Toronto track

February 1, 2014 - York Open
Depart: 1:00 PM, Friday January 31
Return: Sat. Feb 1 - Depart after meet at about 5:00 PM - return by 11:00 PM
Location: York University Track

February 7: Valentine Invitational
8 athletes only
Depart: Thurs Feb. 6 (Porter Airlines - Departure from Sudbury: 10:20 AM )
Return: Sat Feb 8 (Arrival at Sudbury airport: 12:30 PM)
Location: Boston University Track

February 14, 2014 - Hal Brown/Last Chance Invite
Depart: 9:00 AM, Friday Feb 14
Return: Sat. Feb 15 - Depart at 8:00 AM - return by 2:00 PM
Location: U. of Toronto Track

February 21-22: OUA Championships
Must qualify
Depart: 1:00 PM Thurs Feb 20
Return: Sat Feb 22 at about 5:00 PM - return by 11:00 PM
Location: York University Track, Toronto

March 7-9: CIS Championships
Must Qualify
Depart: Wed March 5 or Thurs March 6 or Friday March 7 * (time to be determined)
Return: Saturday March 9 or 10 (time to be determined)
* = will leave Wed if athlete is in the 60m or 600m. Thursday if it's the 300, 1000m, 3k, LJ or 4 x 800; Friday if it's the 1500m or TJ.
Location: Butterdome Indoor Track, Edmonton, Alberta



Dick Moss, Coach,
Track North Athletic Club/Laurentian U. XC,

For information call me.
Vincent Perdue
341 Fourth Ave, Sudbury On. P3B-3R9
vt perdue@cyberbeach.net

Proud sponsor of the Sudbury Rocks!!! Race, Run or Walk for Diabetes



All photos images and content copyright Sudbury Rocks!!

All Web site Graphic Design by Steve Violence


Click to Enter Site